Matt Ahrens co-founded the ZFS project at Sun Microsystems in 2001, designed and implemented major components of ZFS including snapshots and remote replication, and helped lead Sun's ZFS team for 9 years. Matt is now a software engineer at Delphix, where he leads a team working on ZFS for Delphix's database virtualization appliance. He continues to improve ZFS, recently working on resumable send/receive, as well as coordinating open-source ZFS development across companies and platforms.
Matt founded the OpenZFS community, a collaboration among FreeBSD, Linux, Mac OS X, and illumos ZFS developers. He has presented at Sun Tech Days, the Open Storage Summit, BSDCan, LinuxCon, EuroBSDcon, AsiaBSDcon, and dotScale. He created the annual OpenZFS_Developer_Summit conference in 2013, and organizes it and delivers a keynote every year.
Matt advises several companies that use ZFS in their products, providing training and helping them design new features and performance enhancements for their specific use cases.
In his spare time, Matt enjoys woodworking, traveling, and working on dtrace.
Matt has a degree in Computer Science from Brown University.
Press / talks
- video and slides from my talk on ZFS Allocation Performance at BSDCAN, June 2016
- video of my lecture on ZFS read and write code paths - a code walk-through. March 2016
- video from my keynote at the OpenZFS Developer Summit, October 2015.
- video from my presentation on ZFS send and receive at BSDCAN, June 2015
- video from my presentation on ZFS send and receive at the OpenZFS European Conerence, May 2015
- slides from my presentation on ZFS send and receive at AsiaBSDcon, March 2015.
- slides and video of my keynote at the OpenZFS Developer Summit, November 2014.
- slides and video of my keynote at the OpenZFS European Conference, May 2014.
- slides and video of my talk about how Delphix uses OpenZFS and contributes to the community, from the OpenZFS European Conference, May 2014.
- slides and video of my talk about cloud storage at dotScale, May 2014.
- slides and associated paper for my keynote presentation at AsiaBSDcon, March 2014
- audio recording and slides from presentation at AsiaBSDcon developer summit, March 2014
- slides and video of my keynote at the OpenZFS Developer Summit, November 2013.
- video of OpenZFS Office Hours that I hosted, October 2013
- video of presentation at NOSIG, October 2013
- Register article on OpenZFS, September 2013
- podcast interview with Will Backman for BSDtalk, June 2013
- video of keynote at ZFS Day, October 2012